The Worst Injuries in the AFL History

The AFL is a huge Australian sporting event that has seen many triumphs and some major injuries. Betting on the AFL is a very popular activity that Australian bettors love to do so when it comes to injuries, odds may change tremendously.

Injuries mainly impact the player himself because his health and career is on the line but teams can lose their strength too which is why it is important for bettors to keep themselves informed of any injury.

There have been many injuries in the history of the AFL but some far more notable and memorable than others.

Career Ending Injuries in the AFL

In 1954, 25 year old John Coleman, the Essendon full-forward, dislocated his knee and damaged his cartilage and ligaments. His injury was to keep him off the field for six to eight weeks but after a few attempts at playing, the pain was too much for him to bear and his career as a football player ended.

One of the worst tragedies in AFL history was the accidental clash that Neil Sachse of Footscray had during a game in 1975. The clash saw him become a quadriplegic and the end of his career. He did go on to raise funds for the research of spinal cord injuries and his foundation has since raised over AUS$ 2 million.

Memorable Injuries on the Field

In 1972, Peter Hudson, known as the Hawthorn champion had kicked in eight goals while playing against Melbourne before his knee buckled beneath him. He returned for a match the following year and completed a full season in 1977.

Another major injury of 1972 was to Collingwood’s John Greening. He was a young player on his way to great success when he was knocked out by Jim O’Dea. He suffered a severe cerebral concussion and spent five days in a coma. O’Dea was suspended for ten weeks and John Greening made a brief comeback. He was however never able to reach his full potential.

In 2006, Tom Lonergan of Geelong injured his kidney when he backed into a pack against Melbourne. It was his seventh AFL match. At first it was believed that his injuries were not too severe but after deteriorating overnight he lost his right kidney. He was put in an induced coma for four days but made a full recovery and returned to a full AFL career which is an outside bet when looking at afl grand final betting.

Off the Field Injuries to AFL Players

In October of 2002, Jason McCartney, the North Melbourne defender was having drinks with Mick Martyn, his teammate, at Paddy’s Bar at the time of the Bali Bombing. He suffered major burns that were life threatening but he insisted that others were helped before him. He suffered more than 50 percent burns on his body and almost died of blood poisoning while on the operating table. He was comatose for five days but made a comeback in 2003 and played one last match before retiring.

Richmond footballer, Graham Polak, suffered injuries to his brain after being hit by a tram a few hours after playing a match. He returned to football the following year but his career was eventually brought to an end after a few concussions.